Thursday, February 23, 2012

MOVING!!!!!!! - Part 1

.........urgh. I'm going to preface this post by saying that I am the world's WORST mover. You see there are 3 types of people when it comes to moving.

Type 1. Laid back, take on the issues as they come, and deal with them appropriately - the ALEX's
Type 2. Totally stressed out crazy people and everyone knows they are stressed so everyone avoids them.

and then there are those like.....ME...

Type 3. They THINK they are the type 1, happy happy happy....then at a moment when no one expects it, they INSTANTLY become Type 2+ with a vengeance.

You can imagine how this story plays out

I'm relaxed. I'm excited! I'm moving out to Sunny California, in the same city as my boyfriend, and taking on an adventure! Well, it sounded sooo good on paper....

Tuesday, Feb 14th. Happy Valentine's/Moving Day. Alex and I received some news from Alex's family that occupied the morning. But at 9am the packers and movers showed up at the house whether I was ready or not.
I thought they would walk around a bit, see what work needed to be done, and start in slowly. Well they entered the house, shook my hand for introductions, and the house looked like this in about 20 minutes!

It was so crazy!! There were 6 men in my tiny apartment all with their specific tasks. I wasn't allowed to pack or move anything so instead I basically stood in the middle of the house and just spun around in a circle....oh and took this picture. It was crazy but I was living it up in Type 1 mode... happy happy happy...

So 4 hours later, the van pulled away with everything that I own, including my car. All that was left was a suitcase, a mattress that I was giving away, and Sunny and I. (see him over there on my pillow??....kinda creepy kitty...kinda cute?)

A couple rides to work later from my friend Lindsay (shout out), Abby showed up at my sooo inviting apartment on Wed night. She actually had an interview with BIG YELLOW on Thursday. I'm pretty sure that when your sister visits from college, you are supposed to make her a nice, warm, home-cooked meal. But I had no plates, cookware, or utensils. So Carrabbas it was! :)
We ate dinner, went over typical interview questions, and talked about life.

The next day it was time to go to the airport to actually MOVE to LA. I sent Alex this picture on Thursday to show him how excited Sunny was to get on the plane in his harness! He REALLY likes his harness......haha....poor little guy!

Abby got back from her interview, Sunny got a sedative (Thanks Alicia!), and Abby took us both to the airport. (Thanks Abby!!!) My suitcase grew from Packing day to Flying day. I'm not sure how...but my suitcase was 64 lbs when I got to the airport! Also, I had a backpack on with 2 laptops in it, stuffed to the brim. I had my monster size purse, and had Sunny in a carrier. Still in moving Type 1 mode.....for a moment longer....

SIDEBAR: You know those people you see at the airport?...You know the ones I'm talking about! They have WAY too many bags, usually 2 kids acting up in the airport and running around, they keep yelling at them in public, and then they apparently haven't flown since 1990 because they get to security with 3 bottles of water and nail clippers in their suitcase? Yes, those people! Sadly, I was most definitely that person on Thursday. It wasn't kids and water bottles....it was a cat and too many carry ons.

Keep in mind, i called the airline ahead of time. I told them that I had a cat and asked all the appropriate questions! Made NOTES! Made a P-L-A-N!!!

Somewhere in between realizing that a cat counts as one of my 2 TSA designated carry ons, sunny meowing like crazy, my bag being over the 50 lb weight limit, having to repack all my bags in the middle of the airport, some stressed-out gorilla tears, and a sympathetic old man working for the airline.... The "PLAN" got chucked out the window and I landed my self in INSTANT Type 2 mover mode!!!

Yep!!! It happened and it happened in front of one of the nicest old men ever who thought it was all his fault that this CRAZY woman was tearing up at his ticket counter....

Sunny and I finally made it through ticketing, security, and we took a couple minutes to collect ourselves before the flight. I sat down the in the terminal, looked over at sunny, who was sleeping. "Looks like the sedative kicked in!" At that moment, I realized that I had one more cat sedative in my purse and was tempted to try the thing out. Looked like Sunny was enjoying himself! ;)

***Got to LA at 9pm Thursday night. The move wasn't over yet.... More to come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment