Friday, January 27, 2012

Its Always Noon in Newport

One of the things that I'm most excited about in moving to California are the new people we will meet. Everyone has a story.

Sunday of my weekend visit to LA, Alex and I decided to go down to Newport Beach before my flight back to KC. 

Our first stop was not so much a California tourist stop, as it was more of an Amy obsession. :)
Alex actually ordered something this time. He's being converted!!!!

We got our coffees and walked up and down the streets of Newport Beach. Its easy to catch the culture in Newport. Relax and enjoy your ..... Sugar Daddy's hard work. ;) haha Everyone seems to have the secret to financial success. 

We past a clock that had 12's in the place of all the numbers of the clock, with the phrase, "Its always noon in Newport". I loved it! The perfect slogan for a perfectly relaxed day. :)

I can't get over how comfortable I see us in this city; loving life, loving relaxing, and L-O-V-I-N-G the palm trees! Alex looks like he belongs in this picture. I love it. The palm trees, the building geometric shapes, and Alex smirking that I made him take this picture.. :) Love everything about it!

We continued down to the port where there were hundreds of yachts docked. The day was breezy and we relaxed watching the water and enjoying our coffee.

Just after taking this picture a man popped out of this boat. I felt a little creepy gawking at the boats so we said hello and told him that we liked his boat. His response was...surprising. "You mean my home. I live here." 

His boat's name is Little Drummer boy. He found it a little after his wife was taken by a terminal disease. He knew he had to have it. He sold off all of his belongings, gave the money to his children and charities, took a sailing class, and began to refurbish the boat. You know, you ask someone one or two questions about their life and its surprising but refreshing when they respond super honestly. 

He plans to rename the ship Second Star after she's complete. His wife always looked younger than she was. She claimed that after everyone was asleep, she would follow 'the second star to the right straight ahead til morning' for NeverNeverLand. This was her anti-aging scheme. :) So when her time on earth was ending she told her husband to find his way back to her following the second star from the right. So after she passed he found a passion for this boat and feels like it is where he is supposed to be; that she guided him here. This boat makes him happy and we had a nice time talking about the changes he plans to make to it.

It was a sweet story. So for all those out there that said that LA people are cold, shallow, and crazy, I think you are wrong. Crazy, maybe. But so far, I find them kind and interesting. :)

So we parted ways with our new friend and it was time for goodbyes and for me to head back to reality in Kansas City. :) Alex slipped 2 of my favorite things into my hands just incase I got sad on the drive to the airport...
and I headed off to the airport. Can't wait to move to LA and I don't have to head for the airport anymore. Until then, I'll be running up those cell minutes and frequenting Skype.
I'll see you soon Los Angeles!!! Can't wait for the big move!!!





2 comments:

  1. In all of the times that we have gone to Starbucks together, I have NEVER seen Alex order anything. If there wasn't a picture of him holding TWO cups of Starbucks, I never would have believed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this blog. It is going to be like a year long vacation. Except for all that work in between! MOM

    ReplyDelete